Re: Linux recvfrom() broken (was: DNS problems) (fwd)

Dax Kelson (dkelson@inconnect.com)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 18:28:43 -0600 (MDT)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 10:24:35 +1000
From: Mark.Andrews@cmis.CSIRO.AU
Subject: Re: Linux recvfrom() broken (was: DNS problems) (fwd)

> Ok so who has 1003.1g connections ?
>
> Alan

If linux has the behaviour it is the only stack that I am aware
of the behaves this way. The rest return -1 through to the
buffer size.

DU -1..sizeof(buf)
BSD 4.2 -1..sizeof(buf)
BSD 4.3 -1..sizeof(buf)
Solaris 1 -1..sizeof(buf)
Solaris 2 -1..sizeof(buf)
IRIX 6.3 -1..sizeof(buf)

Mind you I personally like the modified behaviour but it does
break existing code. Having to pass a buffer one octet larger
than you want to receive to detect overflow is a pain.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, CSIRO Mathematical and Information Sciences
Locked Bag 17, North Ryde, NSW 1670, Australia.