Re: Notebooks

Matthias Urlichs (smurf@noris.de)
19 Aug 1998 02:32:20 +0200

torvalds@transmeta.com (Linus Torvalds) writes:

> In this case, TCP wanted to allocate a single skb, and due to slabs this
> got turned into a multi-page request even though it fit perfectly fine
> into one page. Thus a critical allocation could fail, and the TCP layer
> started looping - and kswapd could never even try to fix it up because
> the TCP code held the kernel lock.

Methinks that TCP ought to be able to recover from out-of-memory conditions,
just like any other part of the kernel. If slabs make those things which
fall over when they don't get their memory fall over more often, that's
fine with me: it means we get to find more bugs. ;-)

Sure, 2.2 should probably behave differently, but we're not there yet...

--
Matthias Urlichs
noris network GmbH