Re: Flexible Console open (really little patch)

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 17:47:36 +1000

Dave Cinege writes:
> Richard Gooch wrote:
> > >
> > > I don't think so. It solves a problem at a very easy way and does not
> > > hurt anyone. We support a few paths for the init program - why don't
> > > be flexible with the path of /dev/console? (Specialy if there is a good
> > > reason for: it's possible that /dev will be mounted later from a boot
> > > script.)
>
> How about a console= line passed by the boot loader?
>
> > As Matti has pointed out, you can have /dev/console sitting on your
> > root device for use before devfs is mounted.
>
> Not if /dev does not exist, the exact problem I ran into with LRP,
> which creates /dev/ from /linuxrc.

Well, your initrd boot scripts could just create /dev/console for
you. However, there is a better solution to this: replace the call to
open(2) in init/main.c with code that allocates a file and calls
chrdev_open() directly. That way, even if /dev/console doesn't exist
on a non-devfs system, there are no problems.

Regards,

Richard....