Re: Any heads-up moving from 2.0.34 to 2.1.115?

Geert Uytterhoeven (Geert.Uytterhoeven@cs.kuleuven.ac.be)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:09:19 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Mike A. Harris wrote:
> On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
> > > I loaded my 2.0.x config file into 2.1.x menuconfig, and then
> > > went from there. It worked just fine.
> >
> > And how many new options did you miss?
>
> What do you mean by this, I'm not clear?
>
> The first time I installed the 2.1.115 kernel source, I then did:
>
> make menuconfig
>
> Then I loaded my 2.0.35 config file into menuconfig with the
> "Load Alternate Configuration file" command on the menu.
>
> Then I went through every single menu one at a time like usual,
> turning options on and off, modules, etc..

You indeed have to step over each option.

> I then chose Save options to config file, and then exit and save.
>
> I did a:
>
> make dep && make config && time make zImage
> make modules && make modules_install
>
> Everything seemed to work just fine. I don't understand how I
> could miss anything. Is it wrong to use a 2.0.x config with
> 2.1.x? If so, I'll certainly do a 2.1.x config from scratch.
>
> > The better method is `make oldconfig'. It will ask you for the new options
> > only.
>
> Isn't that just plain black and white scrolly text with no
> menuconfig?

Right, it's plain text. But `make oldconfig' differs from `make config': it
asks you for new config options that didn't exist before only. It doesn't
bother you with questions about things that existed before. So it's very clear
which options are introduced with the new kernel.

`make oldconfig' is the recommended thing to do after each kernel source
upgrade.

Greetings,

Geert

--