Re: Any heads-up moving from 2.0.34 to 2.1.115?

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 07:06:08 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:

> > I loaded my 2.0.x config file into 2.1.x menuconfig, and then
> > went from there. It worked just fine.
>
> And how many new options did you miss?

What do you mean by this, I'm not clear?

The first time I installed the 2.1.115 kernel source, I then did:

make menuconfig

Then I loaded my 2.0.35 config file into menuconfig with the
"Load Alternate Configuration file" command on the menu.

Then I went through every single menu one at a time like usual,
turning options on and off, modules, etc..

I then chose Save options to config file, and then exit and save.

I did a:

make dep && make config && time make zImage
make modules && make modules_install

Everything seemed to work just fine. I don't understand how I
could miss anything. Is it wrong to use a 2.0.x config with
2.1.x? If so, I'll certainly do a 2.1.x config from scratch.

> The better method is `make oldconfig'. It will ask you for the new options
> only.

Isn't that just plain black and white scrolly text with no
menuconfig?

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com