Re: Notebooks

Wed, 19 Aug 1998 09:22:36 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 19 Aug 1998, Alan Cox wrote:

> > With higher and higher speed networks becoming available, I predict that
> > sooner or later Linux networking is going to have to do what other high-
> > speed communications systems have been doing for years. If you don't
> > have space available for data packets, you dump them on the floor.
>
> Its been doing that since 0.97

I think only for the initial packet. There doesn't seem to be a bailout
mechanism further up the TCP "stack". A task with a connected stream
socket, failing to read (busy doing something else), can quickly consume
all available buffers if the connected peer keeps sending fragmented data.
Yes. I know about the window, but the fragmentation screws up that
calculation because you don't know until after you receive a fragmented
packet how much space you will need to put it back together.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.115 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).