RE: video memory corrupted from 2.1.107

Graeme Gregory (ggregory@bitbox.co.uk)
Tue, 18 Aug 1998 09:14:21 +0100

owner-linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu wrote:
> Hallo Linux developers,
>
> I am using Tseng ET 6100 based graphics card and XFree 3.3.2 in 32bpp
mode.

> After upgrading from 2.1.106 to 2.1.107 I have found small bug:
>
> After some actions (sometimes IDE disk activity, sometimes SCSI disk
> activity, maybe serial & parallel ports, IP activity...) mouse pointer
> becomes randomized (instead of regular pointer I see random square).
> If after some action X restores pointer, in few minutes bug occur
> again and pointer becomes again random.

Check that X is correctly identifying the capabilities of your chipset.
On my ET6000 based system for some kernel versions it mis-detects the
amount of video ram giving corruption for some part of the screen.

You should be able to read the messages when X starts.

Graeme

--
G. Gregory
ggregory@bitbox.co.uk