RE: Can't Boot 2.1.115/6 with DPT SmartRaid IV

Shaw, Mark (Mark.Shaw@cadus.com)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 14:02:01 -0400

NEVER MIND ... THE ANSWER IS ...

In 3.0.XX, I was using the EATA_DMA driver. I had to switch to the EATA
ISA/EISA/PCI driver. Now the system comes up just fine. Yesssss !!!!

-Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: Shaw, Mark [mailto:Mark.Shaw@cadus.com]
Sent: Wednesday, August 19, 1998 11:17 AM
To: 'linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu'
Subject: Can't Boot 2.1.115/6 with DPT SmartRaid
IV

Hello,

I've built 2.1.116 on two machines. One with A BusLogic
BT-950 SCSI
controller and the other with a DPT SmartRaid IV SCSI
controller.

The machine with the BusLogic controller comes up o.k.
The machine with
the DPT SmartRaid IV fails during boot with the
following message.

RAM disk driver initialized - 16 RAM disks of 4096K size
Md driver 0.36.6 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
Eata_dma: trying to reset HBA at fcb0 to clear possible
blink state
HBA at 0xfcb0 does not react on INQUIRY. Sorry.
Scsi : 0 hosts.
Scsi : detected total.

<eth0 stuff>

Partition check:
Request_module[block_major_8]: Root fs not mounted
VFS: Cannot open root device 08:01

At this point the system just hangs there. I press
<CTRL><ALT><DEL> and
I get:

Disabling symmetric IO mode... ...done

The system then reboots.

Any pointers as to how to resolve this problem would me
much
appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help provided
and once again for
help provided in the past.

-Mark

-
To unsubscribe from this list: send the line
"unsubscribe linux-kernel" in
Please read the FAQ at
http://www.altern.org/andrebalsa/doc/lkml-faq.html