Re: Very large files (>2GB) on X86

Jeff Noxon (jeff@planetfall.com)
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 18:27:07 -0500

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 11:18:39AM +1200, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 1998 at 03:51:46PM -0500, Jeff Noxon wrote:
>
> > Anyone know if an Alpha would be able to read >2GB files on FAT32?
> > :)
>
> Assuming FAT32 is not that different to FAT (and why should it be,
> its not like M$ innovate or anything) then, NO.
>
> There are only 32-bits available for the file size. True, we could
> use some previously unused data for more bits, or something along the
> slots hack to get around this, but you wouldn't want to.

But you're just guessing. :-)

Even with only 32 bits for file size, the size was being reported
correctly (as an unsigned number >2GB). The 32 bit limit gives you a
4GB maximum file size. The 31-bit offset/seek limit means you can't
practically use that file on a 32-bit system -- but it doesn't mean you
couldn't use it on a 64-bit system, which has 63-bit offsets.

My question (and it was mostly a joke) was whether the FAT32 filesystem
had some other limitation preventing a file from being larger than 2GB.
I think the answer is no, since I was able to create a >2GB file without
corruption.

Logically, I think an Alpha probably *could* have accessed the file
I created. But this is all pointless to guess about, since I haven't
looked at any of the filesystem code and undoubtedly wouldn't understand
it if I did. :)

Jeff