Re: kernel bug - allocating memory under 2.1.116

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 19:02:52 +1200

On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 03:44:51PM +1000, Russell Coker wrote:

> To try and test out new memory in my laptop I wrote a program to
> allocate a large amount of memory and then access it all (the
> source to this program is attached). Now when running this program
> if I have RAM set to more than about 90% of the physical RAM in the
> machine the program crashes with SIGCORE.

Looks likes its fixed in 2.1.117 (we'll, for me it fail under 2.1.116
and works for 2.117).

I think its the paging bug (didn't follow, so might not be) Linus
described earlier.

-cw

P.S. Swapping seems to work great in 2.1.117. Not too bad with good
IO I must say....