Re: NFS_ROOT _requires_ CONFIG_IP_PNP ?

DAVID BALAZIC (david.balazic@uni-mb.si)
Thu, 20 Aug 1998 11:28:50 +0100 (MET)

>On Tue, 18 Aug 1998, Nicholas J. Leon wrote:
>
> # Is this a mistake? Or should it indeed just be
> #
> # if [ "$CONFIG_NFS_FS" = "y" ]; then
> # bool ' Root file system on NFS' CONFIG_ROOT_NFS
> # fi
> # Because as I see and understand it, you can pass IP configuration via the
> # 'ip=' kernel cmdline.
>
>Oops! My fault.... the ip= command _IS_ part of CONFIG_IP_PNP .... hmmm...
>then, is there anyway to compile a kernel for nfsrooting that doesn't stop
>at the BOOTP/RARP request for minutes? It seems that even if you pass the
>ip= command line, it continues to look for boot information from across
>the net.

You must use TWo kernel parameters for NFS-root booting without BOOTP/RARP.
Under 2.0.x I use :

nfsroot=<nfs-server-IP>:/disk2/linux/rootdirs/myrootdir
nfsaddrs=<my-IP(client)>:<nfs-server-IP>:<gateway-IP>:<netmask>:<hostname>:eth0:none

under 2.1.x 'nfsaddrs' is renamed to 'ip' , but maybe it still recognises 'nfsaddrs' too.

--
David Balazic , student
E-mail   : 1stein@writeme.com     |     living in  sLOVEnija