Re: arla, an AFS implementation

Aaron M. Ucko (amu@MIT.EDU)
20 Aug 1998 19:27:32 -0400

[arla-drinkers added to Cc: list because of Jim's bug reports.]

Jim Nance <jlnance@avanticorp.com> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 20, 1998 at 11:44:22AM +0100, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:
>
> > Arla is a free AFS client implementation. Look at :
>
> > Can someone post more info on it ?
> > Like how does it perform under Linux ( compared to NFS ) ?

I haven't benchmarked the Arla client, but it uses a (configurable)
disk-based cache like Transarc's client, which outperforms NFS for
many tasks IIRC.

> > As I understand , there is no server yet :-(

Right, the developers decided to focus on the client first.

> I have been using it here for a few weeks. I have been extreamly
> pleased with it. I am using it on both a Sparc and intel machine,
> both running 2.1.11X kernels. The stability seems pretty good. I have
> had a few problems on the intel machine, but its hard to tell if they are
> due to arla or the result of other problems in the development kernels
> (for example I am also having problems with the automounter). On the Sparc
> I have been running an arla snapshot for several weeks and its been rock
> solid.

I played with Arla some on a PC running Linux 2.0.3x...as of 0.9, I
think the only actual bugs I saw in the kernel code were 2.0-specific.
(Magnus developed the Linux port on a Sparc running 2.1, which may
explain the stability you saw. :-))

> 1) If you are running a glibc based Sparc, all SUID/SGID applications
> will die if anything is in the file /etc/ld.so.preload. This has

That's ... special...this is even true for the latest released version?

> nothing to do with arla, exectp that arla comes with a getcwd.o
> library that they suggest you put in /etc/ld.so.preload. Dont do it
> on the Sparc.
> 2) You will have to set install kerberos before you can build/use
> arla. This is export controlled.

The README that comes with Arla points you to a Swedish FTP server
containing a Kerberos implementation Arla works with.

> 3) I have had some problems with make -j not working correctly in
> arla directories.

Could you be more specific?

--
Aaron M. Ucko, KB1CJC <amu@mit.edu> (finger amu@monk.mit.edu)