Re: [OFFTOPIC] Re: iMacs from Apple

Erik Corry (erik@arbat.com)
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 13:36:33 +0200

In article <199808210422.MAA04240@typhaon.ucs.uwa.edu.au> you wrote:

> Another suggestion is to rip the HDD out, burn Linux on a CDROM, "fix" the
> CD drive and use them as lab/campus network access machines. How far away is
> Linux support for USB mouse/keyboard, and anything else required for the iMac
> support?

Rip out the HDD _and_ the modem _and_ the CDROM, and
boot them over the net. Apparently the boot protocol is
bootp-like. Of course, it would have saved money if Apple
had done that (and put a floppy in instead).

Btw. c't have already explained how to add a floppy to an iMac!

In German: http://www.heise.de/ct/98/18/134/
In English: http://www.heise.de/ct/english/98/18/134/

--
 We believe that God is on our side. --Netscape chief executive James Barksdale