Re: Out of ptys??

David Parsons (orc@pell.chi.il.us)
Fri, 21 Aug 1998 10:53:43 -0700 (PDT)

Ragnar Hojland Espinosa wrote:

> On 20 Aug 1998, david parsons wrote:
>
> > If I was going to switch operating systems, I'd pick FreeBSD. They
> > seem fairly conservative about kernel interface hackery.
>
> If you are suggesting that linux isnt ``fairly conservative'',

No I am not. Linux is fairly conservative (thank goodness),
for I'm still able to run binaries from the 0.99 days.

> The change was announced in 1.3.*,

I don't think that the published interface should change at all,
unless it's pushing the published interface out further; since
major and minor numbers require application layer magic to actually
work, they should never change, barring something like devfs which
makes them obsolete.

I've been bitten before by major and minor numbers changing -- for
IDE devices -- and I don't like it. Once an interface is published,
it should stay that way for the life of the product and if you want
to change the interface you should build a new one IN ADDITION to
keeping the old one around for compatability.

____
david parsons \bi/ Contemplating, with horror, the thought of having
\/ to maintain a collection of kernel patches so I
don't have to patch the 40 or so machines that
I run Linux on.