Re: Linux 2.1 problems

Richard Gooch (rgooch@atnf.csiro.au)
Sat, 22 Aug 1998 17:59:03 +1000

slava_pestov@geocities.com writes:
> Hello everyone.
>
> I am using 2.1.117+devfs. Works quite well, devfs is cool. I have the
> following problems with it, though:
> - quake doesn't start; says cannot open /dev/dsp. I have kmod and sb
> enabled. Here is my /etc/modules.conf:

Try adding the following two lines:
alias sound sb
alias sound/* sb

> alias char-major-10-135 off
> alias net-pf-4 off
> alias net-pf-5 off
> alias parport_lowlevel parport_pc
> alias ide/fd ide-floppy
> alias ide/cd ide-cd
> alias tts serial
> alias tts/0 serial
> alias tts/1 serial
> alias cua serial
> alias cua/0 serial
> alias cua/1 serial
> post-install sb modprobe "-k" "adlib_card"
> options sb io=0x220 irq=5 dma=1 dma16=5
> options adlib_card io=0x388
> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7
> - also as you can see from the above, there is a lot of messy aliasing
> necessary. This should be fixed. (tts and cua should be alised to serial
> by default, etc)

I'm working on a sample database to be included with modutils. For
now, replace your serial aliases with:
alias tts serial
alias tts/* serial
alias cua serial
alias cua/* serial

> - a killall5 9 prints this (with various values instead of 132):
> kmod: waitpid(132,NULL,0) failed, returning -512.
> ... and it also leaves a zombie modprobe with ppid=1 (this is weird; I
> am using sysvinit 2.74)

Does it cause and problems?

> - The lp driver needs to be fixed to use devfs.

It works for me. What are the symptoms you are seeing?

> - I use the rc.devfs script to restore device settings. Sometimes, I get
> this message when running rc.devfs start:
> devfs: d_iput(): saved dentry: c1aaf900 is not: c1fd44e0
> devfs: probably harmless: only report if problems

Don't worry about it. As the message says, only tell me about it if
there is a problem (related to the message, of course).

> - If major/minor numbers are disabled, the kernel panics about not being
> able to mount 0305 (my root device) an explicit root= parameter fixes
> it. What's up?

There is a section in the README/FAQ which talks about this.

> - Midnight Commander 4.1.34 doesn't work in a virtual console (it hangs
> in S state, a kill from another tty fixes it).

Probably this is not a devfs-related problem. Do you get this problem
without the devfs patch?

Regards,

Richard....