Re: #define __linux__

Kenneth Johansson (ken@canit.se)
Sun, 23 Aug 1998 20:49:44 +0200

Alan Cox wrote:

> > >Now where is __linux__ set?? I can not find a singe define for this and
> > >yet when I compile with the normal compiler its set.
> >
> > The compiler ought to define it automatically. If your cross compiler doesn't
> > then it's broken.
>
> That depends. If its a generic x86 cross compiler then its not broken. And
> the fix is to either add -D__linux__ to the CFLAGS or to tweak the spec file
> to define it.
>
> Alan

It was compiled with --target=ppc-linux-elf. I guess that is should have included
__linux__.
As the makefile for ppc have hard coded the cross compiler to ppc-linux-elf even if
one changed it in the top Makefile I guess they think it works.

Anyway if I change the spec file and some minor things in the kernel source it at
least compiles and builds a vmlinux object. Its probably a few weeks before I can
say if it really works. Have to write some boot code first.

One strange thing was that if I changes -O2 to -g it faild the final link but -O2
-g works ??? well Iam using the latest snapshot of egcs so I guess I asked for it
:)