Re: 2.1.xxx makes Electric Fence 22x slower

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 10:05:56 -0700 (PDT)

On Mon, 24 Aug 1998, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:

> Back when the AVL vma tree was removed from 2.1, this same complaint was
> made. I can't remember who, but somebody replied that yes, this was a
> known problem, but there was new code planned to replace the AVL code to
> restore the performance when we have large numbers of vmas.

No.

The avl code didn't have any replacement, but was removed because it no
longer mattered for the common case (which was verify_area() - now
thankfully gone).

I would try a one-entry cache, that's probably fine for all common uses.

Linus