Re: pre egcs-1.1 testing and Linux 2.1.x

Jeffrey A Law (law@hurl.cygnus.com)
Mon, 24 Aug 1998 21:47:23 -0600

In message <199808250021.RAA28775@dm.cobaltmicro.com>you write:
> Date: Sun, 23 Aug 1998 17:10:55 -0600
> From: Jeffrey A Law <law@cygnus.com>
>
> But I think folks may be missing an important point. Poorly
> conceived and designed features should be removed, or disabled.
> That goes for any hunk of software, whether its the compiler,
> kernel, libraries, etc.
>
> One thing people often fail to realize, is that the kernel issue is
> totally different. In the kernel case, you MUST stop the feature on
> the way in, because you can't take it out.
Well, you can take them out -- it just takes a hell of a lot longer.

Especially for companies that bundle hardware together with an OS,
but it does gradually happen, and typically only when better alternatives
are available.

But yes, it's always best to catch them before they get installed.

jeff