Re: Sector size 2068?? Can I even access this in Linux??

Marc MERLIN (marc_merlin@magic.metawire.com)
25 Aug 1998 18:19:20 GMT

On 23 Aug 1998 03:06:38 -0700, getlkl@terrorist.math.ntu.edu.tw <getlkl@terrorist.math.ntu.edu.tw> wrote:
>Hi, ladies and gentlemen:
>
> The problem is that the install process hangs when trying to
>probe the SCSI bus. When I try to look at the messages, I realise a
>kernel panic has taken place because the Elite 9 uses a sector/block
>size of 2068 (?!) and the kernel is unable to access it.

Yeah, I had a 9 gig 1991 micropolis that also had a factory default sector
size of 2068.
Actually, before 2.1.32, linux didn't support 2048 sector sizes for disks
either, so you can look at the patch that went in, and hack it temporarly to
also accept 2068 (I did it, and it worked enough for me to fire scsiinfo on
the disk and switch the size back to 2048. Then, scsiformat did the job).

There were two patches. One of the two is at:
http://liniere.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp/2048.html

Marc

--
Home page: http://magic.metawire.com/~merlin/ (browser friendly)