Re: 2.1.117, flaky cdrom, frozen mount

Peter Gervai (grin@tolna.net)
Tue, 25 Aug 1998 20:22:03 +0200

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 08:21:21AM -0600, Erik Andersen wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Peter Gervai wrote:
>
> > if anyone interested. idecd driver, and a 8x cd which
> > spins up quite slowly (2-6 sec). when I try to mount a
> > cd the result is:
> >
> > root@BRaiN:~# mount /cd
> > hdd: timeout waiting for DMA
> > hdd: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> > hdd: DMA disabled
> > hdd: ATAPI reset complete
> > ATAPI device hdd:
> > Error: Unit attention -- (Sense key=0x06)
> > Power on, reset or bus device reset occurred -- (asc=0x29, ascq=0x00)
> >
> > ...and it waits forever. It's especially nice experience
> > when it's get mounted on boot.
> >
> > Solution: not to mount a cd. :-)
> >
> > bye,
> > grin
> >
> > ps: if you feel to ask further or anything, cc to my email please. thx.
> >

> Hmmm. I have now gotten a couple of reports about this occuring, but I'm
> not seeing it here. I havn't yet established a pattern. What type of
> cdrom drive do you have? What ide chipset? I assume you have a good cable,
> right? Do you know what kernel it does work with (i.e. 2.1.116?). Thanks
> for your help,

this line appears in the kernel log after the "Power on..." line:
ISO 9660 Extensions: RRIP_1991A
seems that it recognized the CD _somehow_ but did not get over the init.

The cable supposed to be good (the machine run on 2.0.3x for months).
Last dev kernel I tried was around 2.1.96 or so, it worked. If you
need it I could revert to 116 but only if you ask for it because the
machine is slow and I am usually not there (hard to arrange).

controller, card, cd, etc:

PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 38
PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
PIIX: neither IDE port enabled (BIOS)
PIIX: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 39
PIIX: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
ide0: BM-DMA at 0x3000-0x3007, BIOS settings: hda:pio, hdb:pio
ide1: BM-DMA at 0x3008-0x300f, BIOS settings: hdc:pio, hdd:pio
hda: QUANTUM LIGHTNING 730A, ATA DISK drive
hdc: IBM-DJAA-31080, ATA DISK drive
hdd: PCA123CD, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15

The CD is a "noname" 8x ATAPI piece-o-junk.

bye,
grin