Re: Out of ptys??

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
25 Aug 1998 16:55:14 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.199808231352.GAA09227@midnight.hacking.in.the.land.of.kalifornia.com>,
david <david@kalifornia.com> wrote:
>>> The change was announced in 1.3.*,
>> I don't think that the published interface should change at all,
>
>The old interface was maxed. It had to be changed.

s/changed/extended/

If you extended the interface (either (a) adding majors 2 and 3,
which was done, or (b) using a devfs instead, which is a much much
better solution) you deal with that problem in a way that doesn't
promiscuously break old code.

.
.
.
>Supporting legacy software in this manner is a developers nightmare and
>-hinders- advancement.

Supporting `legacy'[1] interfaces is a developer's dream, as well as
a users dream, because you write to the interface once and don't have
to worry about it from there on in. And the major/minor code stuff
is a particularly bad blotch in the published interface, because this
is Yet Another Case where the major/minor assignments are hidden
inside the kernel with no easy programmatic way of getting them out.

____
david parsons \bi/ "frequently updating your kernel? Where did you
\/ get THAT from?"