Re: Out of ptys??

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 00:54:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, david wrote:

> I think the issue should be closed. If you want support for it in your
> kernel, make and use the patch. Put the patch on linuxhq. If 99.9% of
> linux kernel users don't need support for it, it generally shouldn't be
> stuck in the mainline kernel.

I would not be supprised that 99.9% of linux users need alot of things:

If you assume that there are 7million linux users (what I've seen used in
the media recently).. That would be 7000 people.

Do 7000 people use Linux m68k?
Do 7000 people use Linux on Sparc? ( I think so but I doubt its a ton more )
How about ARM?

How many linux users have PAS16 SCSI controlers?
Or how about a Always IN2000 scsi controler *I actually have one!).
How many use soundmodem or AX25 at all?

Just because alot of people dont need it doesn't mean it shouldn't be in
the main tree. That should be decided by it's lack of influence on other
parts of the kernel, that it fixes the problem is a correct but minimal
fashion, i.e. technical factors.