Re: counters that wrap around

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 18:27:20 +1200

On Tue, Aug 25, 1998 at 05:54:27PM -0500, Mitchell Blank Jr wrote:

> Since it's so cheap, is there any real reason to replace all those
> counters with u64's and add support for printing them?

Many counters are 32-bits, and IMO that's fine.

I have applications that read many hundreds of 32-bit counters every
few minutes, and the overflow is trivially handled there.

In the kernel, there is perhaps the odd place a 64-bit counter might
be necessary, but certainly, most counters don't need to be.

-cw