Re: booting RAID partitions

Etienne Lorrain (lorrain@fb.sony.de)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 12:39:46 +0001

Rob Hagopian <hagopiar@vuser.vu.union.edu> écrit:
> Yes, lilo can't read the kernel from more than one drive, but that's not
> the issue. [...]
>
> On 24 Aug 1998, Michael Shields wrote:
> > Apparently because lilo cannot read the kernel from more than one disk.

Hi,

That is not correct, lilo can deal with every disk
recognised by BIOS and load a stripped kernel.
Lilo's problem is to get which hardware sector and which
disk to read. Disk is a known problem because of the possible
remapping by the BIOS, but is there a standard way to get
the hardware sector (LBA or CHS, another thread...)
from the inode ?

I am really interrested by the answer, i.e. a function
to call in the kernel (or to cut&paste) which works for
RAID devices and preferably for different filesystem...
or better a kernel request (but before 2.3).

Etienne.

--
-- The world belong to its organizer.