Re: Reordering IDE disk access

Vladimir Dergachev (vladimid@blue.seas.upenn.edu)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:53:42 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, DAVID BALAZIC wrote:

> There was some talk about reordering disk access for IDE drives
> on this list. Was that incorporated into the kernel ?
> If not , are there any www pages about the project ?

If you are talking about reordering read/write requests, than it is
already done in the kernel (and in SCSI drives..)

I was(am) working on a project to try to write an intelligent agent that
would try to predict drive access and preload certain files (actually file
fragments). I do not plan this to be useful on loaded machines, rather
this is intended for improvement of interactive response for machines with
a lot of memory.

So far the results can be found on
http://www.math.upenn.edu/~vdergach/Linux

Right now I am trying to find out more of the workings of Linux mm and fs
subsystems, in particular how the buffered reads relate to mmaped files..

One of the things I found out is that if you first read a file
(time cat file > /dev/null) so that it is in buffers, and then mmap it
the data will not be reused. I have also found out that (at least on my
system) mmaping a file allows a faster access than just reading it with
read(2), though in both cases I am using 4096 blocks to do the I/O..

Vladimir Dergachev