Re: de4x5.c patch against 2.1.117

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 09:57:27 -0700 (PDT)

On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > Couldn't we just use the new functionality correctly instead of emulating
> > an old and very ugly interface?
>
> Speaking of interfaces, what's holding up the addition of Andrew Mileski's
> ISA PnP stuff? It would be nice to have a standardized API for ISA PnP,
> especially for some new drivers I'm writing.

What's holding up ISA PnP is that all the patches I've seen have been
fairly horrible.

The PnP patches I've seen have looked like somebody was reading the PnP
spec, and trying to implement it for Linux based on that.

The patches I'd actually accept would be something that made sense on a
larger scale, and were able to support PnP as a side effect.

Quite frankly, PnP as a standard sucks. Anything that just reads the PnP
standard and tries to force that on Linux will be most definitely ignored.

Linus