Re: PATCH: Fix for remount-ro

Stephen C. Tweedie (sct@redhat.com)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 21:12:02 +0100

Hi,

On 26 Aug 1998 11:30:02 +0200, Andreas Schwab
<schwab@issan.informatik.uni-dortmund.de> said:

> "Stephen C. Tweedie" <sct@redhat.com> writes:
> |> Currently fs_may_umount_ro has a problem which allows it to permit a
> |> readonly remount even if there is write activity pending on the fs.

> |> This should not break anything new, but it may convert problems with
> |> existing, broken shutdown scripts from silent failures to noisy ones.
> |> It's best to know about it if it happens, though.

> This will break unmounting the root fs on shutdown for many systems,
> because /sbin/init will often have a reference to a deleted file (eg
> /etc/ld.so.cache), and init never exits.

Read my last paragraph again!

The case you refer to is *already* broken. Currently, the kernel will
ignore the orphaned file and allow the fs to be remounted readonly, and
will therefore leave behind an unclean filesystem. The effect of this
patch will be that this case is noticed, both by umount warning at
shutdown time and by a forced fsck on reboot.

The previous behaviour was to break silently. I don't believe that
converting this to a noisy failure is a regression.

--Stephen