Re: patch for x86 treatment of fs and gs in signal handlers

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 10:18:07 -0700 (PDT)

On 26 Aug 1998, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Marcus Meissner <msmeissn@cip.informatik.uni-erlangen.de> writes:
>
> > WINE however restores the %fs in signalhandlers from the passed struct
> > sigcontext which works (including additional checks for signals from 16bit
> > code) rather good.
>
> But this is not possible in our case since all user code is effected.
> Whenever somebody will write an signal handler in an multithreaded
> program s/he'll has to do this magic. How do you explain this to
> everybody?

Note that 2.1.118 does what Richard suggested, as I agreed with all his
arguments.. It should be backwards compatible, but it should also allow
people to use %fs in signal handlers as a global value without having to
do anything special.

Linus