Re: patch for x86 treatment of fs and gs in signal handlers

Ulrich Drepper (drepper@cygnus.com)
26 Aug 1998 11:01:24 -0700

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> No, the kernel thinks that the memory management includes the LDT
> information, so whenever two threads share the same vm space, they will
> automatically share the same LDT too.

That's ok.

> They obviously do not share the same register space, so two threads can
> certainly easily have separate %fs and %gs, they just have to be pointers
> to the same shared LDT.

Exactly. All threads use different LDT entries. So no reason to change.

Once we can to some measurements we might come up with some proposal.
Right now I can say that allocating all 8192 LDT entries is overkill
for us.