PnP

Zlatko Calusic (Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr)
26 Aug 1998 20:14:05 +0200

Linus Torvalds <torvalds@transmeta.com> writes:

> On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > On Tue, 25 Aug 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > > Couldn't we just use the new functionality correctly instead of emulating
> > > an old and very ugly interface?
> >
> > Speaking of interfaces, what's holding up the addition of Andrew Mileski's
> > ISA PnP stuff? It would be nice to have a standardized API for ISA PnP,
> > especially for some new drivers I'm writing.
>
> What's holding up ISA PnP is that all the patches I've seen have been
> fairly horrible.
>
> The PnP patches I've seen have looked like somebody was reading the PnP
> spec, and trying to implement it for Linux based on that.
>
> The patches I'd actually accept would be something that made sense on a
> larger scale, and were able to support PnP as a side effect.
>
> Quite frankly, PnP as a standard sucks. Anything that just reads the PnP
> standard and tries to force that on Linux will be most definitely ignored.
>
> Linus

I've taken freedom to put your words of wisdom on the small page I'm
maintaining. I hope you have nothing against it, but if you do... :)

The page contains patches that add Plug and Play functionality to the
Linux kernel. The patches have not been written by me, but by Tom Lees
<tom@lpsg.demon.co.uk>. I'm only updating them so they can be applied
to the latest development kernel sources.

http://bjesomar.srce.hr/~zcalusic/linux-pnp

Please visit main page to get more information about the software:

http://www.lpsg.demon.co.uk/pnp-linux.html

Regards,

--
Posted by Zlatko Calusic           E-mail: <Zlatko.Calusic@CARNet.hr>