Re: PnP

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:17:50 -0700 (PDT)

On 26 Aug 1998, Zlatko Calusic wrote:

> > Quite frankly, PnP as a standard sucks. Anything that just reads the PnP
> > standard and tries to force that on Linux will be most definitely ignored.
>
> I've taken freedom to put your words of wisdom on the small page I'm
> maintaining. I hope you have nothing against it, but if you do... :)

That's fine. If somebody quotes me, I'd like to clarify that one thing
that I want to happen is that the Linux "PnP" code should really make
sense from a completely non-PC-world standpoint too.

So what I'm looking for is more of a "framework for autodetection" where
PnP would strictly be relegated to just be one particular way of finding
out information for the larger framework.

(And think of "larger" not in code-size, but as a "concept" thing)

Linus