Re: de4x5.c patch against 2.1.117

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 14:25:31 +1200

On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 07:13:48PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:

> Most PCI cards tend to be ~50% more expensive than PnP ISA ones. So
> there are big economic reasons to go ISA, even though it is
> antiquated.

That gap is closing, so I think the real reason we need ISA support
is for antiquated cards.

> Linux has never really supported PnP, and now I hear people trying
> to avoid _any_ support entirely. Gah.

What's wrong with the userspace support?

> I thought the point of Linux was to try to support as much hardware
> as possible, even broken ones (eg Intel EtherExpress).

I think supporting as much hardware as possible is ver admirable, but
not at the expense of sane hardware.

That said, if kernel PnP is a compile time option, people are free to
choose.

> A good percentage of multimedia cards are PnP. In fact most recent
> soundchips (CS423x, ESS18xx) are PnP. Motherboards come with PnP
> soundchips embedded. And Linux doesnt really support any of them
> :-/

Are these connected to a PCI or ISA bus? I assume the later?

In particular for the case of mm stuff - userspace init of the card
then moduling loading seems appropriate.

> Is it any wonder why multimedia support on Linux still lags...

Mostly because most mm vendors are completely anal and won't rellease
specs.

Anyone got details on the i740?

-cw