Re: de4x5.c patch against 2.1.117

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 11:02:18 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Dan Hollis wrote:
> On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Chris Wedgwood wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 26, 1998 at 07:22:13PM -0700, Dan Hollis wrote:
> > > I guess we should drop support for 386 and 486 too...
> > No - because support the 386/486 isn't costing us much.
>
> Bad example. How about fpu emulation. After all, everyone has builtin FPU
> these days! So lets just drop FPU emulation completely and see how many
> people complain.

Dan, get a grip.

We already _have_ FPU emulation. As such, it costs us nada, zero, zilch.

We already _have_ ISA-PnP support. It happens to be in user space, but
considering what a crock ISA-PnP is, that's pretty much where I'd like to
keep it.

So what you are arguing for is (a) costly and (b) doesn't buy us much and
(c) can't be done before 2.2 anyway.

Linus