Re: telnetd, rxvt/xterm problems with 2.1.11[78]

Trevor Johnson (trevor@jpj.net)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 17:34:58 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 27 Aug 1998 wrw3@cornell.edu wrote:

> With the last two versions of the kernel I've been unable to telnet to my
> host (locally or from afar) and xterms fail. All of these things worked
> perfectly with previous versions (2.1.101, 2.1.105, ...). There has been
> some discussion of this on the list of late, but I don't recall seeing a
> specific solution to this problem.

Did you use the 2.1.115 or 2.1.116 kernels? You probably would have had
difficulty with those as well.

How about something like this for the FAQ?

Q: My pseudo-tty devices don't work any more. What happened?

A: Support for ptys using a major number of 4 was dropped in Linux
2.1.115. Replace your device files with ones using the new major numbers,
2 and 3. They will work with later 1.3 versions of Linux, and any 2.x
version.

Q: Can I use UNIX 98 ptys?

A: Yes, but only if you have a kernel and libc which support them, and if
your applications are written and compiled to use them. They will be
supported by Linux 2.2 and glibc 2.1.

These answers are largely based on a message from Andreas Schwab
(schwab@gnu.org) and on the Documentation/devices.txt file maintained by
H. Peter Anvin (hpa@zytor.com) that comes with the Linux source.
__
Trevor Johnson