Re: Next round of console patches

Tom Eastep (eastep@loc1.tandem.com)
Thu, 27 Aug 1998 19:03:54 -0700

Martin Mares wrote:

> Hello, world!\n
>
> As I've got lots of bug reports regarding the console and related things
> and the development console code has evolved a lot since last merge with
> the official tree, I've put a patch against 2.1.118 at
>
> ftp://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/pub/local/mj/linux/patches/l-con118.gz
>
> If you have any problems with console in 2.1.118 or if you just want to stay on
> the bleeding edge, please test this patch and tell me whether does it fix your
> problems or not (or even breaks things which have worked).

Martin,

I've had a rather poor experience with this patch:

1) If I build with CONFIG_MTRR=y, I get a solid lockup immediately after
I select a graphics vesa mode during bootup (e.g, vga=0x0307). Nothing
but a hard reset will get the system out of this lockup.

2) If I build with CONFIG_MTRR off and select a graphics vesa mode,
scrolling looks horrible -- during bootup, the Penguin logos dance
around like they are having an epileptic seizure.

Hardware:

2xPPro 150 with KX chipset
128MB
Matrox Millennium I with 2MB