Re: sector size of 2068?

Thu, 27 Aug 1998 22:35:27 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Aug 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:
>
> > In the SCSI controller BIOS setup, low-level format the drive using
> > your new controller. The drive was apparently low-level formatted on
> > on different controller, or simply contains a manufacturers' test
> > pattern. If you don't have a controller that shows a startup
> > window that says "^B or ^A to enter setup.." or something like
> > that, you need to format the drive on some machine that does.
>
> Wouldn't `scsiformat' utility from 'scsiinfo' package be sufficient for
> this task? This would allow disks to be formatted without troubles
> regardless of the firmware capabilities.

I didn't know it even existed! If there is some way to send 'raw'
commands to SCSI from user-mode, all you have to do is execute
the 'format unit' command and wait until it's done. Default parameters
including 0 for an interleave (which means default) will create
a workable (perhaps not optimum) disk.

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
***** FILE SYSTEM WAS MODIFIED *****
Penguin : Linux version 2.1.118 on an i586 machine (66.15 BogoMips).