Re: Compiling 2.0.35 with new ioport.c

David_M_Morgan@rsh.net
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 02:48:37 -0500

> While I was trying to recompile my 2.0.35 kernel with ioport.c from a
> 2.1.117 kernel source tree to overcome the egcs 1.0.x. - kernel 2.0.xx
> incompatibility as mentioned by many people on Usenet and mailing lists,

There have been several messages from Alan Cox (who is doing most of the
maintenance of the 2.0 kernel) saying that there are probably (or perhaps
he said certainly) other problems in compiling it with egcs or gcc 2.8.x,
and that he won't fix them. I've also had a private communication from
someone who has experienced such problems, so I think the advice given in
the FAQ, to just replace ioport.c, is bad.

> I got the following error when ioport.c was being compiled and
> compilation stoppped:
>
> ioport.c: In function `sys_ioperm':
> ioport.c:61: warning: implicit declaration of function `capable'
> ioport.c:61: `CAP_SYS_RAWIO' undeclared (first use this function)

The 2.0 kernel doesn't have capabilities. They were added circa 2.1.98.

> I'm no C expert or kernel hacker so any help to solve this problem will
> be greatly appreciated. I simply don't want to go back to gcc 2.7.2.x
> just to compile a kernel, but I will if I have to. I was using egcs
> 1.0.3 to compile the kernel.

If you want the 2.0 kernel to be reliable, you must use the old gcc.
If you don't care whether it's reliable, you might as well run a 2.1
kernel.
__
Trevor Johnson

I'm far from an expert but, I followed the advice of the XFree86 FAQ (maybe
because I don't know any better, that or maybe to stupid) and went and got
a copy of a development kernel to get the ioport.c file that I needed and
have had no ill effects thus far (it's been that way for weeks). In fact
it's gone so well I'm thinking of using that development kernel in a
different machine with a similar setup to experiment with. But then that's
just me and my experience, yours may differ.