Re: patch for x86 treatment of fs and gs in signal handlers

Linus Torvalds (torvalds@transmeta.com)
28 Aug 1998 18:28:51 GMT

In article <6s4hur$lga$1@palladium.transmeta.com>,
H. Peter Anvin <hpa@transmeta.com> wrote:

>512 descriptors would be a page, which would be a good allocation
>size, although for a smaller LDT perhaps a fractional page would make
>sense.

The LDT _used_ to originally be just a page in size.

It so happens that the only program that I personally think should use
the LDT (ie Wine/WABI) needs _much_ more than 512 entries. Windows is a
segment pig.

I think using the LDT inside threaded programs is a mistake, but if you
do it will still be just one LDT for the whole thread group rather than
one per thread, so as such I'll just keep the LDT to the full size.

Linus