Re: ftp.kernel.org overloaded :-(

Joel Jaeggli (joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu)
Fri, 28 Aug 1998 21:14:51 -0700 (PDT)

the mirror at:

ftp://limestone.uoregon.edu/pub/linux/kernel/

seems to have picked up everything up to pre-patch-2.1.120-1 as of 6pm
august 28... It runs on a 12 hour cycle, and the way I have it set up at
the moment it seems to be keeping up with the rapid changes relativly
well...

On Fri, 28 Aug 1998, Gerd Knorr wrote:

> Hi !
>
> I have some problems to pick up the 2.1.118 patch. Downloading directly
> from frp.kernel.org is out of question becauce it takes way to long.
> Seems even the mirrors have problems to pick up the patches. My favorite
> Mirrors (ftp.cs.tu-berlin.de,ftp.gwdg.de) still hav'nt 2.1.118. 2.1.119
> is already there, probably becauce it is smaller and therfore easier to
> download.
>
> Can this be fixed somehow? Maybe limit access to ftp.kernel.org for
> "normal" users and have extra ftp class for mirrors?

HPA discussed this at some point. I haven't heard anything back on the
issue since... part of the problem being that a full mirror is currently
running around 4GB and seems to be growing by 10 or 20MB every other day
at this point.

[joelja@limestone kernel]$ du
397081 ./v2.0
1964430 ./v2.1
78652 ./testing
101 ./people/hpa
305267 ./people/davem
1 ./people/whawes
305372 ./people
2563 ./v1.0
58622 ./v1.2
17294 ./Historic/v0.99
212 ./Historic/old-versions/tytso
715 ./Historic/old-versions/old/corrupt
2627 ./Historic/old-versions/old
472 ./Historic/old-versions/impure
5854 ./Historic/old-versions
23285 ./Historic
824651 ./v1.3
131536 ./v1.1
72 ./SillySounds
13686 ./.private/TeX
13687 ./.private
3800022 .

> Gerd

joelja

Joel Jaeggli joelja@darkwing.uoregon.edu
Academic User Services consult@gladstone.uoregon.edu
PGP Key Fingerprint: 1DE9 8FCA 51FB 4195 B42A 9C32 A30D 121E