Re: [2.1.xxx sound] GUS PnP DMA timeout

Renaud Guerin (renaudg@hexanet.fr)
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 01:24:16 +0200

Alan Cox wrote:

> > > It depends if someone with a GUS card fixed it.
> > Being a (very) newbie kernel hacker, I don't know where to start to fix it,
> Unfortunately while Im not a newbie hacker I know nothing about the GUS
> card.
> > but I'm willing to test any patches or to provide any information that may
> > help fix this.
> If you want it to work and to help with stuff post 2.2 and for the future
> see the ALSA project to replace the OSS sound stuff

I just tried the latest ALSA drivers (0.2.0 pre 5) and OSS apps segfault with
them, while the ALSA utilities cause a kernel oops. But I'd better report that
to the ALSA team :)

Anyway, the trouble is that the OSS team won't support the kernel OSS because it
is maintained by an "independent team" (I think they're talking about you here
:))
And it looks like proper GUS pnp support won't make it into the stock
2.2 kernel. If this is also the case for other sound cards, this won't be great
for Linux image when 2.2 comes out...
OTOH, the ALSA drivers seem to be developed and improved at a rapid pace.

Is it planned to include the ALSA drivers in the kernel instead of OSS Lite
anytime soon ?