Re: Networkhood file system.

Mike A. Harris (mharris@ican.net)
Sun, 30 Aug 1998 05:50:21 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 26 Aug 1998, Richard B. Johnson wrote:

>Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 08:01:35 -0400 (EDT) From: "Richard B.
>Johnson" <root@chaos.analogic.com> To: Pal-Kristian Engstad
><engstad@intermetrics.com> Cc: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
>Subject: Re: Networkhood file system.
>

>You know how Micro$oft gets this information? They steal it.
>They rob CPU time from everyone on the local network. These
>garbage machines trash the LAN with continuous "chatter", which
>turns into a nearly 100% load on the network when you have a
>room full of these abortions. No thanks.

Network Neighborhood is not a kernel issue. It is a userspace
issue. Such a program need not work like Microsoft. The Browse
Master concept IMHO is brain dead. I think it would be better to
have the client program manually poll machines for their shares,
etc.. as needed, and refresh automatically upon certain events in
the client, or manually via an icon or something. It won't waste
much resources then.

--
Mike A. Harris  -  Computer Consultant  -  Linux advocate

Escape from the confines of Microsoft's operating systems and push your PC to it's limits with LINUX - a real OS. http://www.redhat.com