Re: Problems building linux-nfs-0.4.22 with 2.1.117ac3

Greg Whalin (gwhalin@numerix.com)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 11:33:14 -0500 (CDT)

Well, this patch and release of knfsd did fix the compile problems,
however, I am now having some further issues in getting knfsd to work.

After installing all the utils and modules, I run the startup script.

/etc/rc.d/rc3.d > ./S35knfsd start
Starting NFS services: rpc.kstatd rpc.kmountd rpc.knfsd
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d >

Then, if I immediately do a status, I get back

/etc/rc.d/rc3.d > ./S35knfsd status
rpc.kmountd (pid 1100) is running...
rpc.knfsd is stopped
rpc.knfsd is stopped
/etc/rc.d/rc3.d >

If I check the ps output, I see the following (edited)

/etc/rc.d/rc3.d > ps ax
1092 p0 S 0:00 rpc.kstatd
1100 ? S 0:00 rpc.kmountd
1107 p0 SW 0:00 (nfsd)
1108 p0 SW 0:00 (nfsd)
1110 p0 SW 0:00 (lockd)
1111 p0 SW 0:00 (rpciod)
199 ? S 0:00 portmap

And, an lsmod

/etc/rc.d//rc3.d > lsmod
Module Size Used by
nfsd 144476 2 (autoclean)
lockd 27340 1 (autoclean) [nfsd]
sunrpc 49760 1 (autoclean) [nfsd lockd]
3c59x 16156 1
devpts 3140 1 (autoclean)

An attempted mount from a remote system is showing:

/home/gwhalin> mount -F nfs nfsserver:/test /mnt
nfs mount: nfsserver: NFS service not responding
nfs mount: retrying: /mnt

And then it times out after a while.

Another question ... I notice that a module is loaded named sunrpc. I
had assumed that this would replace the portmap daemon, but I am guessing
I was wrong, as none of the deamons would run without me first starting
it (portmap).

Any info that could point me in the correct direction would be most
helpful. Also, where is all of the info concerning knfsd at? I have been
unable to find any helpful info anywhere.

Thanks,

Greg

Greg Whalin
gwhalin@numerix.com