Re: Uniform Driver Interface (UDI)

Erik Andersen (andersen@inconnect.com)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 14:59:39 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Mon, 31 Aug 1998, Juergen Hennerich wrote:
> >
> > Has anybody heared something about the UDI project:
> > http://www.sco.com/UDI/
>
> Yes.
>
> It's potentially interesting, and it may even turn out to be something
> worthwhile. I'm slightly nervous about the comittee-like approach they've
> had to it, and I suspect a subset of UDI is more interesting than the
> whole thing, but I'll have an open mind.
>
> I'll be happier with real drivers, but if UDI takes off it is certainly
> something we should look at.
>
> Linus

For Linux, it would sure be nice to auto-magically be able to use any device
without the usual pain. I am a bit concerned though. One of the major areas
where Linux shines is speed. If every device is to be run in:
"an encapsulating environment for drivers with well-defined
interfaces which isolate drivers from OS policies and from
platform and I/O bus dependencies"
then isn't this equivalent to saying that performace will suck?

-Erik

--
Erik B. Andersen   Web:    http://www.inconnect.com/~andersen/
                   email:  andersee@debian.org