Legal Issues with UDI ( was Re: [Fwd: Uniform Driver Interface (UDI)] )

Terry L Ridder (terrylr@tbcnet.com)
Mon, 31 Aug 1998 21:27:28 -0500

While the previous comments below deal with the technical issues of
performance of UDI drivers, this comment deals mainly with the
Licensing Issues.

1. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with non-GNU GPL'ed
drivers?

2. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with proprietary
drivers,
for which you do not have the source code, and there is not even a
glimmer of hope that you would ever have the source code?

3. Can you mix a GNU GPL'ed OS ( Linux & Hurd ) with proprietary
drivers,
for which you do have the source code, but the source code is not
released under the GNU GPL?

4. Assuming that all Linux UDI drivers are GNU GPL'ed, can a proprietary
OS
(SCO, Solaris, HP-UX) use those same drivers? (This could lead us
down the
same path that Apache has followed were the currency of trade is
source code.
i.e. Yes we will work with you, but we want some of your source code
hacks.)

5. Would driver authors be willing to release their drivers under
multiple
different licenses?

6. If the UDI drivers are only available in a binary format, would this
not
violate a primary premise that freeware/OpenSource implies.
Premise: Only trust software you have the source code for.
Implied Premise: Never trust software you do not have the source code
for.

I am sure there are other questions concerning the Licensing Issues, but
these are the ones which come to mind first.

--
Terry L. Ridder
Blue Danube Software (Blaue Donau Software)

When the toast is burnt and all the milk has turned and Captain Crunch is waving farewell when the Big One finds you may this song remind you that they don't serve breakfast in hell ==Breakfast==Newsboys