Re: ext2fs: inode with zero dtime

Tue, 1 Sep 1998 16:44:41 +0100

On Mon, Aug 31, 1998 at 06:24:14PM +0100, Stephen C. Tweedie wrote:
> That's the problem: it should be illegal to remount a fs readonly while
> there are still orphaned deleted inodes present.
>
> The problem is that closing such an inode acts as a delete. If the fs
> is readonly at the time, then either we cannot complete the delete on
> disk, or we have to fail the close. Either way lands us in a mess. The
> alternative is to prevent the fs from being marked readonly until these
> inodes finally get cleaned up.

How about linking the inode into lost+found, is it _then_ safe to
remount read-only?

An alternative without leaving files around is to link the inode
somewhere else which is automatically cleaned at the next fsck/mount.
Perhaps putting a name matching a "delete me" pattern in lost+found
would do.

-- Jamie