Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux

Theodore Y. Ts'o (tytso@mit.edu)
Wed, 2 Sep 1998 00:59:21 -0400

From: "Albert D. Cahalan" <acahalan@cs.uml.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 22:41:26 -0400 (EDT)

/home/bob is a Windows share, mounted from an NT server.
Bob does "cp foo bar" to make a copy of his file.
That file has:
* ACLs
* multiple forks
* extended attributes
* several gigabytes of data
* holes (compression)

NTFS does have support for multiple streams, but nothing actually uses
it except for the Appleshare server. When I talked to a developer at
Microsoft and pointed out the problems with multiple fork files,
especially as they relate to shipping them over the Internet using ftp,
et. al, he responded that it was only the Appleshare server on NT that
used it, and as far as he knew, there were no plans for MS Office or any
other MS applications to actually *use* multiple forks.

So it sounds like Microsoft has avoided making the same mistakes as
Apple did. Hopefully we can also manage to avoid making the same
mistake.

Repeat after me, ten times slowly: Multiple fork files are a bad idea.

- Ted