Re: Linux tcp/ip code has trouble with async network I/O notification,u

Chris Wedgwood (chris@cybernet.co.nz)
Thu, 3 Sep 1998 21:02:07 +1200

On Thu, Sep 03, 1998 at 09:17:23AM +0100, Helge Hafting wrote:

> Careless thread programming is bad. But one doesn't have to be
> careless.

No, but threads seem to encourage bad programming concepts. Its not
necessarily a waekness of threads, but a weakness in how human beings
view concurrency perhaps.

> Hard for you maybe? Threads can be useful sometimes. Of course
> there are times when other approaches are better. Doesn't mean
> threads are never useful though.

Threads can be extremely useful - and threads can poorly used.

I know I'm stating the obvious, but some OSs use threads to a
ridiculous extent and it shows....

-cw