Re: Odd 2.0.35 problems with APM on VIA motherboards

Hans (J.W.R.deGoede@ITS.TUDelft.NL)
Thu, 03 Sep 1998 12:52:29 +0200 (METDST)

On Thu, 3 Sep 1998, Andrew Derrick Balsa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I just got two reports of problems (one oops and one hang) with 2.0.35 with
> Jumbo-9, from people who have VIA motherboards and are using APM.
>
> It seems in fact the problem is _not_ Jumbo-9 related, but rather related
> to the chipset/BIOS and APM kernel code.
>
> It seems the VIA BIOS APM code malfunctions when powering down/up the hard
> disks. This is not at all my area of competence, so I am CC'ing the maintainers
> of the APM code.
>
> I would recommend testing 2.0.35 with Jumbo-9, but _without_ APM first.

I don't have apm support enabled in my kernel. I can try crashing it with
hd-sleeping enabled and apm disabled in my bios.

> In David's machine (VIA MVP3 motherboard), the problem also occurred with an
> unpatched 2.0.35 kernel, and is certainly APM related.
>
> In Hans' machine (VP2 motherboard), the hang is triggered every time the hd
> spins up, but only when UDMA is enabled (Hans, are you certain this is so? Can
> you test 2.0.35 without Jumbo?).

If you read my first two posts you would know that:
-I've tried 2.0.35 2.0.34 and 2.0.33 without apm kernel support,
but with apm enabled in my bios and the crash didn't happen.
-I've tried 2.0.35-jumbo-9 with dma2 and the crash didn't happen
-I've tried 2.0.35-jumbo-9 and a crash happens if:
X is running
The hd is sleeping
I log in on a text console
after entering my passwd the hd spins up
I switch to X during the spinup -> Crash

I've also had 1 hd -spinup crash without a console switch but that was
the only one without the above circumstances.

If I'm already logged in, and wait for the hd to fall asleep, then do an
ls to wake it up and during the spinning up switch nithing happens.

It only is 100% reproducable after entering my passwd

I guess this is just timing related and I'm glad that it also
happens on other systems in different ways. But on my system it only
happens with udma (and thus jumbo 9) when switching to X
atleast that is the only reproducable hang.

> The solution could be as simple as adding an extra delay in the APM kernel
> code to allow for correct hard disk spin up, but really I am just guessing.
>
> Note that I only got reports of problems with VIA chipset based machines, when
> APM is enabled. Since the APM BIOS code is more mature on Intel TX motherboards,
> these are reported to work fine with 2.0.35 + Jumbo-9 + APM.

Lett me once again stress that I don't use apm in the kernel.

> So (in principle) the problem does not seem to be Jumbo-9 related.

Hmm it is kinda since jumbo enables udma which crashes in my case.
Then again if it also happens to other people with just apm without jumbo
It might be that jumbo is just triggering it.

Regards,

Hans