Re: Implementing Meta File information in Linux (and a note at the end on current reiserfs status)

david parsons (o.r.c@p.e.l.l.p.o.r.t.l.a.n.d.o.r.u.s)
4 Sep 1998 17:13:19 -0700

In article <linux.kernel.19980903094418.07880@albireo.ucw.cz>,
Martin Mares <mj@ucw.cz> wrote:
>> Again: because you have to locate all these chunks to move the file to
>> another system. Counterintuitive. (And I have to do the support after some
>> luser does this and then can't figure out why their file is screwed up :-)
>
> Again: To access file chunks by standard tools (vi, emacs, od) you would
>need to make all of them aware of the new structure. Counterintuitive :-)

Not necessarily. vi can certainly edit the data fork of a forked
file without caring about the other forks. You might have to do a
little bit of tweakery to make it not delete the old file before
writing the new one, but it's certainly not much extra work, and
it doesn't involve writing New Functionality into it so it can
handle forked vs non-forked files.

____
david parsons \bi/ Imagining `levee /home/src/BSD/cp/cp.c/nls'
\/