Re: memory management and the status of

Gregory Maxwell (linker@z.ml.org)
Sat, 5 Sep 1998 12:51:34 -0400 (EDT)

Well first off, you'll liking get an answer to your liking if your
attitude isn't so poor.

I seriously doubt you are actually seeing a Linux MM problem.
Run the free program, it should have output like this:

total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 63232 42028 21204 9196 3644 29300
-/+ buffers: 9084 54148
Swap: 72288 96 72192

Now, with your logic.. Someone would say that I have 21megs free. But this
is not the case. 33megs are being used as disk cache. If I were to use the
21megs free it would start shrinking the disk cache.

So I really have 54megs free before it has to hit swap.

It's not the MM system causing your problem most likely.

I'd guess that you are running out of CPU or you are running out of disk
I/O bandwidth.

I'd be happy to help you out, however, you left out alot of information.

What MP3 player are you using, does it do buffering? What type of sound
card to you have, do you know the DMA buffersize, what kind of HDD (IDE or
SCSI), is your HDD using DMA or PIO mode and what speed CPU do you have?
What was the system load when this happens? Does your mp3 player have a
realtime mode?
What kind of video card do you have?

Without this sort of info I can't possibly help you.

If swap was being used it would likely make the situation worse as your
system wasted CPU doing the swapping.

We'd all be happy to help you.. But dont be nasty..